[ale] solaris, linux and grub

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Feb 2 09:09:52 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
> So, I'm still trying to figure out why Solaris screws up the filesystem
> partitions.  If I install Solaris first, it creates partitions that
> aren't on proper boundaries (according to Linux).  If I install Linux
> first, I end up with Solaris wanting to muck with the partition sizes,
> thus putting me in the same boat.
>
> Suggestions?  Anyone else running a dual boot that includes Solaris?

Do the disk geometries match under each OS?  Here is an example of what
fdisk sees on 2 of my drives:

Disk /dev/sdc: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 156334 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Yes, these are different models of drive.  sda and sdb are identical,
and I originally had an issue with them reporting different
heads/sectors/cylinders (similar to what I pasted above).  I wasn't
paying attention, and I was copying the partition tables with dd.  When
I would fdisk one of the drives after the dd it would claim there was
space between the partitions (iirc).

Partitions have to end on a cylinder boundry, and if each OS sees a
different number of logical cylinders there will be rounding errors.
You should be safe as long as you don't actually have overlap.

Pat