[ale] iptraf / bandwidth monitoring

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Feb 1 06:32:24 EST 2006

I have 2 machines in a colo facility and I too have a limit per month.
I think mine might be around 300gb.  You brought up an interesting
question.  I would like to know what is going on bandwidth wise and not
just for the 300gb reason but a spike that is not warranted could point
to a hack on the box.

I loaded up net-snmp on both boxes.  On my desktop I loaded up mrtg and
I now have MRTG monitoring those machines.  But this only gives me
averages and allows me to see spikes.  It does not count totals.  Or at
least I don't have it configured correctly.

The only idea I can see is to at 11:59 on 02-01 use snmpget to get the
value of IP-MIB::ifInOctects.2 and  ifOutOctects.3.  Once you get that
value then periodically get that value again and calculate the
difference.  That will tell you your bandwidth usage for that period.
Your script will have to be intelligent because I believe that is a
32bit value that can roll over and a reboot of your server will return
that value to 0.  This is just an idea and I'm sure there is a better
way.