[ale] YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound

Keith Hopkins ALE ale at hopnet.net
Sun Dec 31 00:37:34 EST 2006

Tim Watts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently started an NIS server on my linux home server (just as a learning
> experiment really). Now I'm getting these emails from cron:
>
> YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound
> YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound
> YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound
>
> Anyone know what it's trying to tell me (aside from the obvious :-)?
>
> [BTW: the experiment is to see what the heck NIS does form me. I'm hoping it
> will allow me to change my password once and have it take effect on all my
> nodes. Anyone care to educate me?]

It's pretty much trying to tell you the obvious. ypbind can't find ypserv (ypserv isn't running, ypserv is blocked by firewall, etc).

NIS and LDAP have a similar purpose, that of being a directory service.  I'll continue to use NIS for a while, because I've had it running for several years now, and it integrates well with NFS/automounter.

--Keith