[ale] computer controlled power switches

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Dec 28 14:05:59 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 13:50 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Alers,
> I am forwarding a question from my son as his question is w-a-a-a-y
> beyond my knowledge base:
>
> | the DSL modem locked again while I was on vacation.  Can you ask the Ale
> | list for suggestions for computer controlled power switches so I can
> | reboot the stupid thing via a shell script?
>
> He is a senior programmer at AOL and uses Linux at home and work.

Well I believe you may be able to find some very cheap devices out
there.  I used to use bottlerocket with firecracker for this but over
the years my transmitter has died.

We typically use intelligent power strips from APC or Spectrum.
Intelligent is a way of saying serial interface.  You can even get them
with ethernet.  They are in our lab and in the data center.  Great for
controlling power remotely and shutting stuff down.  Not cheap.  I
believe they range can start at $250.  The one I have at home is around
$650.