[ale] DHCP name resolution REAL sloooooow.....

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 15 05:22:46 EST 2006

Randall,

Please see the interspersed replies below:

Randal Jarrett wrote:

>That is a strange setup.  From the next message I am gathering that
>192.168.1.254 is your gateway/router or their modem?

That's the way bellsouth set it up and if I restart networking, that's
the result. I assume it's either their modem/gateway/router or all [or
some combination of] the above. Their tech set it up that way and
physically saw my setup when he did it, though he didn't know how to
include the linux boxes on my LAN.

>If it is the ISPs modem get yourself a router, something like a
>Linksys.

Everything is plugged into several hubs now, including the DSL modem.

>Now back to the problem,  that isn't a valid setup for your
>resolv.conf unless the gateway/modem/router is a dns server.

I assume 192.168.1.254 is as you suggest, since everything works.

>The ones given in the following message are good ones except
>it is usually best to use your ISPs dns servers first and
>only use the others for backup.

It apparently makes no difference whether I use the 4.2.2.x set, the
192.168.x.y set or the "real" set 205.152.x.y.

>Check with your ISP and find out what the real dns servers are
>and put them in the resolv.conf.
>
>Then put one or more of the others.
>   nameserver 4.2.2.4
>   nameserver 4.2.2.3
>also
>   nameserver 4.2.2.2
>works

BTW, how should I deal with the fact that bellsouth DSL changes my NIC
address [dynamic not assigned static] when initiating on each DHCP setup  ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney