[ale] flash ddrives (2)

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 14 10:53:57 EST 2006

Messing around, I have discovered something that might be of interest or help.
I apologize if this is known information.  So here goes:

I have two flash drives.  Both are 1 GB.  The first is a PNY; the second is
a "MicroCenter"  (that I couldn't resist for $15.95).

I have a Zip-100 drive, a Castlewood orb drive, and a Western Digital external
drive attached via USB.  The Zip drive is recognized as sda4, the orb drive
is recodnized at sdb5.  The WD drive is recognized as sdc1.  I do not mount
the flash drives on boot, as doing so messes up the mount points (rearranges
them).

If  either one of the flash drive is plugged into the USB chain on boot-up, it
is recognized as sdb1 and the remaining USB devices are moved "down" one
place. That is:  the orb drive becomes sdc5, and the WD becomes sdd1.

If both flash drives are plugged in on boot, the other USB  devicea are moved
down two places.  The orb drive becomes sdd5 and the WD becomes sde1

After boot with the flash drive unplugged, I can mount either the PNY or the
MicroCenter drive as sdd1.

I can mount either the PNY or the MicroCenter drive as sde1.

Once I mount a flash drive as sdd1, I cannot mount the other drive as sdd1
withut restarting the system.  I can unmount and remount that same drive as
sdd1, but I cannot mount the alternate drive on the same mount point.

The same is true of sde1.  Once one of the flash drive has been mounted on
this mount point, only that drive can be remounted  on the same point.

For reference, I am running Slackware 11.0  (kernel 2.4.33.3) .on a very old
system: (Pentium III (Katmai) at 450 MHz; Asus P2B system board, 392 MB system
RAM; stock BIOS).

Is there any way to control (force) the order of mounting USB devices on
boot-up?

If there is an explanation, I would like to "hear" it.  Otherwise, for your
information and whatever good it may do.

Zeb