[ale] OT was software modems

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 5 10:01:56 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 09:36 -0500, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Except he is a bit alarmist.   Recently he said all telemarketers have
> to do to prove you ordered their product is play a soundbite of you
> saying "yes".  He implied they could do this without context to
> "prove" you ordered the thing.  So if they say "Are you OK today?" And
> you say "yes" they can use that as proof later.  While I'm sure there
> is a lot of slime that does that kind of trick I'm also sure that in a
> court of law you could get it thrown out by making them provide the
> entire conversation.  They'd have a hard time justifying saying "we
> only recorded the 'yes'".

Once I got a call from a directory sales person.  They stated that they
had tried contacting the CEO and just need to verify some shipping info
to ship the directory ($300+ book).  They also stated they were
recording the info to verify accuracy.  Later they tried to use this
info to state that I had "ordered" their product.  The recoding was of
bad quality it was hard to make out anything.

These tricks do occur.  I don't think that it is as simple as getting a
"yes" to any question to ship product.