[ale] OT: Re: ping

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Tue Aug 22 16:01:36 EDT 2006

A joke we can take. Continuing an urban myth that was begun with a
political agenda, is much more difficult.

Some of us construe "initiative" as helping fund - an entirely different
concept.

"...he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act (which
established a national computing plan and helped link universities and
libraries via a shared network) and cosponsored the Information
Infrastructure and Technology Act of 1992 (which opened the Internet to
commercial traffic)."

If you are going to quote from the link, read the entire link and don't
quote out of context. More from the same link-

"To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the
"invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing
that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the
word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly
different meanings ? the former is used in the sense of "to bring about"
or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to
signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an
idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the
same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and
consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet,
even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually
said were readily available.)"

regards,
William