[ale] NNTPS "tunnelling"?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 19:10:44 EDT 2006

On Tue April 25 2006 18:01, Brian MacLeod wrote:

> Well, I'm not really sure.  My CentOS systems only require that I execute
> 'stunnel' and it runs with the configuration in
> /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf. I haven't spent the few minutes of time it
> would take to run a proper startup script (I use it to tunnel LDAP
> queries to Active Directory).
>
> My 'stunnel -h' tells me append file name if I don't want to use
> /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf.  Does yours state where it looks?

Nope, at least if it does, I'm too stupid to figure it out from the output
of the command:

fd0man at cinnamon:~$ stunnel -h

==
stunnel [-h] [-V] [-c | -T] [-D level] [-C cipherlist] [-p pemfile]
        [-v level] [-A certfile] [-a directory] [-S sources] [-t timeout]
        [-u ident_username] [-s setuid_user] [-g setgid_group] [-n protocol]
        [-R randfile] [-E egdsock] [-B bytes] [-P { dir/ | filename |
none } ]
        [-d [host:]port [-f] ]
        [-r [host:]port | { -l | -L }  program [-- args] ]

  -h            print this help screen
  -V            print stunnel version and compile-time defaults

  -d [host:]port   daemon mode (host defaults to INADDR_ANY)
  -r [host:]port   connect to remote service (host defaults to
INADDR_LOOPBACK)
  -l program    execute local inetd-type program
  -L program    open local pty and execute program

  -c            client mode (remote service uses SSL)
  -f            foreground mode (don't fork, log to stderr)
  -I host       local IP address to be used as source for remote connections
  -T            transparent proxy mode on hosts that support it
  -p pemfile    private key and certificate chain PEM filename
  -v level      verify peer certificate
                   level 1 - verify peer certificate if present
                   level 2 - require valid peer certificate always
                   level 3 - verify peer with locally installed certificate
  -a directory  client certificate directory for -v options
  -A certfile   CA certificate for -v options
  -S sources    which certificate source defaults to use
                   0 = ignore all defaults sources
                   1 = use ssl library defaults
                   2 = use stunnel defaults
                   3 = use both ssl library and stunnel defaults
  -t timeout    session cache timeout
  -u user       use IDENT (RFC 1413) username checking
  -n proto      negotiate SSL with specified protocol
                currently supported: smtp, pop3, nntp
  -N name       service name to use for tcp wrapper checking
  -s username   setuid() to username in daemon mode
  -g groupname  setgid() to groupname in daemon mode
  -P arg        specify pid file { dir/ | filename | none }
  -C list       set permitted SSL ciphers
  -E socket     path to Entropy Gathering Daemon socket
  -B bytes      how many bytes to read from random seed files
  -R file       path to file with random seed data
                /dev/urandom is used when this option is not specified
  -W            do not overwrite random seed datafiles with new random data
  -D [fac.]lev  debug level (e.g. daemon.info)
  -O a|l|r:option=value[:value] set an option on accept/local/remote socket
  -o file       append log messages to a file

See stunnel -V output for default values

fd0man at cinnamon:~$
==

What I do see is options for a PEM file, certificate file, a random seed
source, and a file for the pid ID.

*shrugs*

Perhaps, I'll just use it without the file.  Still, very useful.  I've used
this before for debugging SSL connections over a tty, but I didn't realize
that it would work with connecting a program to a remote SSL source.
Thanks again!

	- Mike