[ale] NNTPS "tunnelling"?

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 18:01:52 EDT 2006

> Sweet!  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of stunnel -- that's
> really
> good.  I've used it for inspecting things in the past, though I didn't
> realize that it had an interface for transparently allowing applications
> connect to things that they don't support.  That's awesome!
>
> Now, though... there is one thing that I cannot seem to figure out.
>
> The man page for it makes *no* mention of how to use a config file to
> control the operation.  I was able to get a command to work on the command
> line to take care of what I need, though (stunnel -f -c -d 119 -r
> remote_private_nntps_server:563)
>
> If I can get it to read from the config file, there are two servers that I
> would need to set up, and have the virtual tunnels exist for the lifetime
> of the machine, which means I'll have to write shell scripts for my INIT
> system, and that I don't mind.  But how do I get it to use the config
> file?
>
> This site (http://mirrors.techiesabode.com/linuxgazette/107/odonovan.html)
> says that you have to use 'stunnel config-file-name.conf' -- however, that
> doesn't work.  I do this and I get:
>
> fd0man at cinnamon:~$ sudo stunnel /etc/stunnel.conf
> 2006.04.25 16:47:20 LOG3[12368:3083437760]: Either -r, -l (or -L) option
> must be used
>
> Try 'stunnel -h' for more information.
>
> fd0man at cinnamon:~$
>
> So, I'm confused.  Any idea on that?  If not, that's fine... I can work it
> without the config file, but it'd be nice.  Thanks again for the pointer!

Well, I'm not really sure.  My CentOS systems only require that I execute
'stunnel' and it runs with the configuration in /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf.
I haven't spent the few minutes of time it would take to run a proper
startup script (I use it to tunnel LDAP queries to Active Directory).

My 'stunnel -h' tells me append file name if I don't want to use
/etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf.  Does yours state where it looks?

        - Mike