[ale] Firefox Update

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 13:38:31 EDT 2006

On 4/19/06, Terry Bailey <terry at bitlinx.com> wrote:

> I am sure that this is a rudimentary question, but I don' t have the
> answer. I have downloaded the latest version of Firefox for Linux.  I
> assume that it will execute on must any flavor of Linux ( Red Hat,
> SUSE).  I am running SUSE 10.  I have done the gzip -d and the tar
> -xvf.  But I don't see any install script.  If I run Firefox from the
> directory containing all the new files, I get the latest version, but of
> course the version I get from the icon on the desktop is the old
> version.  How do I install this?

If your aim is to install the latest Firefox for the whole machine,
you can just untar the download in a safe place (/usr/local works for
me), and create a link from /usr/local/bin/firefox to the executable
under firefox-1.5.0.2 (or whatever the untar creates).  I do this to
allow a way back - the old version sits uder
/usr/local/firefox-1.5.0.xxx, the new is .yyy, and the link gets moved
to the latest.  If things don't work, I move the link back.

As for the desktop icon, I woudl change the path to be the link you
create, so it will always run the newest.

--
Better Living Through Bitmaps