[ale] Greetings and introduction

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Apr 19 11:29:21 EDT 2006

Funny thing is that we have a school full of kids who have Linux
desktops more useful than WinXP.

We actually have a class where a parent donated a brand new Dell media
PC and the blue screen is on more often than not. Beside are 6 Linux
terminals (K12LTSP running GNOME on FC4) and a Mac with OS 9. Guess
which box I've spent the most time on trying to maintain?

The kids hammer the PCs all day - and it's not to use Vi.

At home, my daughter plays Runescape, I listen to radioparadise.com and
we all get our email on Linux.

Your first point is an excellent one. But if you are comparing the
latest incarnations of GNOME and KDE with Win 3.1... We aren't Vi'ing.
We are Quanta'ing, Bluefishing, GIMP'ing, etc. Things have moved along a
bit.

And.. Weather Bug? Many of us have spent countless hours getting that
OFF machines. And, Quicktime displays just fine thank you -even on a
Linux thin client. Linux does have certain issues but having used Macs
for years, they did/do to. The point is that the overall experience was
so superior that it was worth it. As always, YMMV.

I'm not trying to flame but I do have to scratch my head and wonder why
you'd bring up Vi and Win 3.1.

Regaards,
William