[ale] Greetings and introduction

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 09:58:40 EDT 2006

Hey, I'm IN the gaming industry.  You right about short-term greed. But what
the heck else ever drives entertainment?

To the original post, I've been happily using nothin' but linux at home for
years. Most of my home computing revolves around hobby software projects
(that'd be, vi ing files, although I tend toward emacs), as well as buying
stuff on the web and looking at things like google maps.  Of course I can
also use my home machine for transferring and playing music while ignoring
all DRM news, just as I ignore most stories about viruses and malware.
With OpenOffice, I can even read 'n' write the Winders files that my
techno-peasant friends sometimes send me.

I'm paid to be on a Winders machine at work, but I won't put any of 'em on
my own network.  If the work machine breaks, I just call someone to deal
with it. Unlike Aaron, I think Bill did a great thing by offering mediocre
software to the masses. But that doesn't mean I'm interested in using it.
I'm far more willing to forgo things like Weather Bug and CNN Pipeline than
I am to put my personal information on a system which I cannot understand
and maintain.

-- CHS (Owns a PS/2, uses it perhaps 30 minutes a week)