[ale] Greetings and introduction

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 23:17:54 EDT 2006

I don't want to scare you off, but I have to make this observation. It
sounds to me like you are looking for some magic distribution that is
going to "let" you do everything you did in Windows exactly the same
as you did with that operating system. I have seen this sort of
mentality among my personal friends and watched it fail. When people
talk about the "Linux desktop" they are, most typically, not talking
about the same sort of "desktop" most Windows geeks are familiar with;
that being a business system that excels at playing games and various
other "home" applications (e.g. iPod management). No, the "Linux
desktop" is one where work is accomplished. Casual surfing, writing
papers, developing programs, etc. There are a select few big name
games that have Linux ports (UT2004, Quake 3/4, Doom 3, etc.), but for
the most part it isn't a gaming platform like Windows.

Your video card(s) should work well because the manufacturer provides
decent drivers. Your sound card, I don't know. I have SB Live!s in my
machines (first generation Live!s). They work as well as I need for
them to.

Basically, my point is this. It doesn't matter what distribution you
pick. With the attitude (for lack of a better word) you are
approaching it, you will just be disappointed [again]. None of them
are going to do all the Windows things, the Windows way, out of the
box, if ever. However, if you can come up with a reason other than "it
isn't Windows" I think you will be pleased. I have a Windows machine
for gaming and a machine with some Linux distribution (currently SuSE
10.0) to do all of my work. When the semester is in, my Windows
machine doesn't get powered on very often.

That is just my opinion based on what you gave me.