[ale] printing on 3x5 cards

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 17 07:27:31 EDT 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 06:52, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
> > I got interested in GTD as a productivity system and there is a neat way
> > to implement it called the Hipster PDA, that involves keeping all of your
> > info on a small stack of 3x5 index cards. I found some templates for
> > printing out the cards. But I can't make them print correctly, no way, no
> > how. They are in portrait format and my printer's paper guide won't move
> > in to 3 inches and hold the cards up straight. So, I should be able to
> > flip them around to landscape format and print that way. Right? But the
> > only application I can find that will do that is Gimp (the templates are
> > available as .png files as well as .pdf's). But if I flip the cards
> > sideways in Gimp, my printer (Epson C-62) spits out nothing but raw
> > postscript as text. Can anybody think of a good way to trick out either
> > the .png or .pdf files and get them to print in landscape format on index
> > cards?
>
> Have you considered looking for index cards that are perforated from
> 8.5x11 stock?  I've seen all manners of cards from postcards to business
> cards.  I'm wondering if you might be able to locate the same in the 3x5
> flavor.

I found some. They cost $22 for a small pack at Office Depot. That seems
totally outrageous when compared to $3 for a pack of 500 3x5 cards.

> Then again, if the images are single card images, you're pretty well
> stuck with printing on single cards.  I would think the easiest solution
> would be to figure out why your printer's not handling the landscape
> format for printing.

That could be a long, long fishing expedition. But I may try a newsgroup
devoted to Gimp. My real hope is that I can use the pre-existing templates I
downloaded and not have to create my own. I think I'll try saving the
graphics in landscape format and see if that gets me anywhere.