[ale] printing on 3x5 cards

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 17 06:52:55 EDT 2006

Jim Philips wrote:
> I got interested in GTD as a productivity system and there is a neat way to
> implement it called the Hipster PDA, that involves keeping all of your info
> on a small stack of 3x5 index cards. I found some templates for printing out
> the cards. But I can't make them print correctly, no way, no how. They are in
> portrait format and my printer's paper guide won't move in to 3 inches and
> hold the cards up straight. So, I should be able to flip them around to
> landscape format and print that way. Right? But the only application I can
> find that will do that is Gimp (the templates are available as .png files as
> well as .pdf's). But if I flip the cards sideways in Gimp, my printer (Epson
> C-62) spits out nothing but raw postscript as text. Can anybody think of a
> good way to trick out either the .png or .pdf files and get them to print in
> landscape format on index cards?

Have you considered looking for index cards that are perforated from
8.5x11 stock?  I've seen all manners of cards from postcards to business
cards.  I'm wondering if you might be able to locate the same in the 3x5
flavor.

Then again, if the images are single card images, you're pretty well
stuck with printing on single cards.  I would think the easiest solution
would be to figure out why your printer's not handling the landscape
format for printing.

Another possibility is to use a nice gnome label making tool called
glabels.  Besides having 100's of prepared templates for everything from
obscure round labels to business cards and more, it has a template
designer, where you might be able to create your own index card
templates, then print them on your 3x5s'.

Yet a final option might be creating the cards with the OO label option.
  It too permits you to define the dimensions and layout of labels/cards.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin