[ale] GRUB issue on boot

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Apr 13 09:54:17 EDT 2006

James Sumners wrote:
> Install lilo. I don't know why distributions are moving to Grub. I
> have never seen an installation of it that doesn't screw up at some
> point. I recently added a kernel switch to the Grub config on my SuSE
> 10.0 box and it caused my machine to reboot every time Grub started to
> load. I reinstalled Grub several times and the same thing kept
> happening. Surprise, surprise, I installed lilo, with a basic config,
> and I could boot my machine again.

I have to disagree.  My Slack boxes still use lilo and it's a nice tool,
but I think grub has far surpassed it as a boot loader.  With
interactive editing and all, you really can't beat it.

I've got at least 9 boxes running with grub and all kinds of bizarre
configurations, never a problem.

As far as the original problem, I'd boot from a rescue disk or Tom's
r/b, chroot to the installed base and check out the grub configuration.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin