[ale] GRUB issue on boot

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:39:54 EDT 2006

Install lilo. I don't know why distributions are moving to Grub. I
have never seen an installation of it that doesn't screw up at some
point. I recently added a kernel switch to the Grub config on my SuSE
10.0 box and it caused my machine to reboot every time Grub started to
load. I reinstalled Grub several times and the same thing kept
happening. Surprise, surprise, I installed lilo, with a basic config,
and I could boot my machine again.

Just grab a copy of SysRecueCd (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page),
boot from it, mount your root partition, and chroot to it. Then you
can try to re-install Grub or install a boot manager that is more
stable (doesn't suck).