[ale] Cat-5 question

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Apr 10 00:21:09 EDT 2006

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> My unending thanks to Chris and Jim.
> Turns out that looks can be deceiving.  When all else had
> failed miserably I tried one last time using the book order
> for the wires. The damned brown wire wouldn't behave, but
> I'm not supposed to need it anyway. Right?
> Success!

Did I understand correctly that you only clipped off one end of the
cable?  If that is the case, you want to forget the pinouts everyone is
trying to give you.  In your case, the most important thing to do is
make sure the wires in your new end match the wires that were in the old
end.  If the guy who crimped the old cable did it wrong, it won't work
if you do it right :).

> But, having learned how to wire rj-45 plugs I am certain that I
> don't want to do this for a living. :)

I could never do it for a living...  But I haven't made a single bad
crimp in the 5 years or so that I have owned my crimping tool :).

Pat