[ale] Infringing Microsoft's look and feel?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 27 00:42:40 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 00:19 -0400, fostermail at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Although I am within an idiom, and have expectations in excess of press about it, I am astounded at my difficulties using Open OfficeWriter.
>
> When dealing with the situation of a *.doc file being required, compatibility appears unidirectional. I don't know how to save in different locations without touching the filename I'm trying to save (i.e. it doesn't create the file where the work is to be saved.) It more or less consistently locks the mouse buttons, and with varied attempted remedies disables the server-kill trio. (Cold shutdown.)

I can use file->save as->select a location to(default is Documents)->set
my file name (no extension)->select file type->check automatic
extension-> magic happens ad I have a .doc file that nearly every M$
Word (l)user can open. I am using a beta of OO.o v2 on Fedora 4, dual
Opteron, 2GB with 6 firefox windows(with 3-15 tabs each), evolution
email, 8 terminal windows (with 1-5 tabs each), Adobe acrobat 7,
Bluefish, and a small pile of monitoring applets strewn about the dual
tool bars.

Get a new copy of OOo if you're having problems. v2 is looking very
nice.

> This is to verify some commonality of experience, since I highly doubt my capability of finding in the source this problem if it is there.
>
> Kde applications occasionally crash on this SuSE 9.3 Dell P-4 rambus (512M) with near-capacity / partition, separate usr, boot, var, home. The PNY GEforce 5200 did come out of the garbage from a Athlon dual RAM tech board the power circuitry which had ground-tabs on some half-bridge diode things self-desoldered (runaway current, overheat.) I will not post if OpenOfficeWriter works smooth when I dedicate word-processing to some stock machine with more memory. Again I am too wimpy to do a bug report, and I'm not a professional technician, so I can't solemnly proclaim what misinformation I've concocted from what angles I know of.

near capacity / means /tmp is getting full as well. Moving it and
linking it back in may cause issues with single mode as no other
partitions but / are mounted.