[ale] Help with UnixWare 7.1.1 networking

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:54:00 EDT 2005

When you say you can "ping the box" do you mean from another computer ?

If yes, then you at least have your NIC installed/working. If not,
obviously this is the first step and depends on a number of things,
including what card you have installed and where, i.e. stuff like Bus #
and Slot #, etc....which'll require MBoard docs possibly or you can just
try all probable permutations  :-(

Once the NIC is good..., then I think you should run DNS Mgr to input at
least your forwarders, i.e. the UW7 box IP and your network router IP.
Also, I always said NO to the Caching Only Server question.

You should also check "rhosts" and "hosts.equiv" on your network router
box, if unix.

On my UW7 box, I ran Network Configuration Mgr and re: ACT AS ROUTER, I
said NO.

Then if...
	netstat -a
doesn't respond promptly, I'd run
	Networking
		DNS Mgr
			Server <-STOP

Also you need to run DNS Client Mgr to configure the client.

There's a truckload of other settings like....IP, netmask, broadcast
addr, default router, domain, prim & sec DNS, frame format for NIC,
etc...that also must be input.

You should also check you security level. I used 'Traditional'.

I regret I cannot be systematic in all this but it's been years since I
ran UW7. It WAS a handful  :-)

HTH,

Courtney