[ale] Help with UnixWare 7.1.1 networking

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Wed Sep 14 21:58:07 EDT 2005

My company decided (way in the past) to do a major component under SCO
UnixWare 7.1.1  The problem is that no one seems to know how to set up
networking & now we need to install it on 2 machines.  The only person I
have found out how to do this has quit - needless to say no one saw fit to
get some documentation from the dude before he hit the road.  We have used
SCO's docs but they are worthless.  The nice little GUI that is used to
"configure" networking doesn't seem to be very effective.  I have filled
in/checked all of the usual suspects in /etc - resolve.conf , hosts , and
whatever else I could find that I recognized from Linux / Solaris / *BSD.
However it seems that SCO has put a lot of the networking info/stuff in
non-uniform little files that are laying around everywhere.  We can ping the
box but it cannot ping anything except it's own interface and 127.0.0.1 .
When it is rebooted it seems to spend a lot of time on something it calls
"filters".  Could this be a firewall ???

The man pages are of little help and Google only has stated to "use the
GUI-admin-thingy" and Google goes on to state that said GUI-admin-thingy
does not work all of the time.  In fact I today I overheard one of our
developers say that it had no ARP table (which I assume is kept in KVM - but
again I don't know).

I honestly don't know if SCO has just jumbled things up (like Solaris 10) to
differentiate themselves from everyone else or this is what "real System IV"
code looked like "back in the day".  My earliest *.nix was Caldera and I
don't recall it being so messed up. So ... does anyone know anything about
SCO UNIX / have any experience with it / or have any tips/clues ???  I am
out of tricks and don't have a clue as to how to debug this mess.

CAVEATE: We have spent tens of thousands of man/woman hours on this
component over the course of the company's history and the libs and such are
so intertwined with our app that no, we cannot just junk it for anything
else. No, I am not interested about anyone's opinion about SCO as right now
I just want some clue(s) as to how to get the bloody thing working.  Yes I
know that it is a stinking pile of non-conformist *.nix poo but I don't care
- I just want to know how to configure it.  Please please don't anyone
hijack this thread for some 2-week long diatribe on something off-topic ...
like the SCO lawsuit or "standards" or some crap like that.  I mean haven't
we chased away enough folks this year ??  And besides .... I just want to
learn how to get the fetid system to work.

Also if there is perchance a SCO guru out there please make yourself known -
especially if you could use some contract work.  I am *NOT* promising
anything but now my group is in a documenting frenzy and there might be a
chance for some work for a knowledgeable SCO sysadmin.

Greg