[ale] backup a running RH7.2 box

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Sep 13 14:35:55 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:55 -0400, Sid Lane wrote:
> for reasons I do not which to discuss I have a semi-pressing need to
> make as close a backup as possible of a running RH7.2 box.

Translated too.  I'm getting ready to be without a job and I need to
take the keys to the kingdom with me.

1.  Back up partition table
2.  Back up drive to tar ball.

On new system:

1.  Restore partition table
2.  format partitions
3.  Restore tarball.
4.  Rerun lilo
5.  reboot.

Hopefully Kudzu will bring you hardware back into working if the
machines do not match.

You Can backup the system without a restore CD.  On the new system
you'll need a restore CD.

# restore partitions.
# mke2fs -???? /dev/hda?
# mkswap -v1 /dev/hda?
# mkdir /tmp/1
# cd /tmp/1
# tar -xjvpsf /cdrom/backup.tar.bz2
# chroot . bin/sh
# lilo
# exit
# Reboot and pray.

dd the MBR is the problem.  Unlike grub lilo has to record the
actual locations of the files in the boot sector.  This changes on
restore.  This is why after replacing a kernel you have to rerun lilo.