[ale] Upgrading KDE

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Fri Sep 9 01:46:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 10:58 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > I've tried upgrades but only once.  Here is what I do.
> >
> > # cd /
> > # mkdir SuSE-9_2
> > # mv bin/ root/ dev/ ... SuSE-9_2
> >
> > You'll need to use a recovery CD to make this happen.  But do that and
> > then when you install new tell the installer _not_ to format the FS.  I
> > have a ShuttleX and wanted to swap drives to install FC3.  After I gave
> > up due to the difficulty of getting the drive out I resorted to this
> > method and will never go back.  This allows me to keep my old install on
> > the same disk so I can back it up at my leisure.
>
> Sorry, this sounds way too painful. :)  Backup /etc and /home and any
> other non-standard filesystems.  Do your upgrade to 9.3.  All should
> just work.  As I've noted, I've upgraded a number of 9.2 machines to
> 9.3.  If you do an upgrade, it won't mess with your existing filesystems
> anyway.  I think Chris is suggesting you do a new install, which really
> just isn't necessary.  SuSE  upgrades have been working pretty well
> since about 8.2.

It's been a long time since I had any problem upgrading a SuSE system.
I just went from 9.1 to 9.3.  This system started way back on 7.x where
x is something I can no longer recall.  Went through the 8 series to 9.0
then 9.1 and now 9.3.  When the upgrade is finished it brings up release
notes for any packages with special requirements for updating (i.e
configuration changes, directory location changes etc...).

Ray