[ale] Smoothwall with DSL. was Speedfactory dropping USENET news

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Wed Sep 7 11:05:15 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 08:12 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> I've configured pppoe on
> a smooth wall firewall with voip behind it.

Anything special involved? (Just DSL, not the voip.) Which one keeps the
default IP address when they both want the same one?

Was working on this a few weeks ago and had to put it on the back burner.
Lost a computer, three NIC's, and a switch to lightning. Even one of the
four ports on the brand new DSL box! (Think this last one may be related to
the new problem below) Also lost TVs both here and next door.... Not a
direct strike, but close enough my daughter got burned by her mouse.

Between limited time with the new job and being a total zombie from third
shift, it took me an embarrassingly long time to get back (mostly) to where
I was. Current (remaining?) problem is weird intermittent DNS issues that
only effect *some* computers. Been pulling my hair out over this one for a
few days, error message is too generic to be of any use as a search string.

Smoothwall as a central point may eliminate all the DNS issues. Worked great
with a modem for over a year. Had come to the conclusion a few weeks ago
that I needed to reinstall with the correct hardware. May not have needed to
originally, but after mucking with it for several days pretty sure I do
now:-(
--
William