[ale] OT: Speedfactory dropping USENET news

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 7 08:12:26 EDT 2005

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> James, I think you made my point.  It's best to avoid DSL if you want
> to use VOIP easily.
>
> Which makes perfect sense - the phone companies don't want their
> users to be able to use VOIP.  It would defeat their business
> model(s).  They wouldn't be able to charge 4 cents a minute for Long
> Distance.  The phone companies also make it clear that they are not
> ISPs because of the regulation issues; they also maintain that they
> are not 'content providers' either.

I would agree that the phone company does not look happily on voip, but
I don't see much difference in configuring voip for cable verses dsl.
All you need is a simple device to handle pppoe on the other side of
your dsl modem.  Roaring penguin works great.  I've configured pppoe on
a smooth wall firewall with voip behind it.  It's really no big deal.

--
Until later, Geoffrey