[ale] [OT] I have TV question

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Mon Oct 24 22:27:25 EDT 2005

Hi Greg,

   It all depends on what you're trying to do.

   First question is, where are you getting the HDTV signal from now?  Broadcast? Sat? Cable?

   If it is Broadcast, I'd just suggest just getting a inexpensive set top box and pull the signal out of the air.  They can be found < AU$150 down here.  Or opt for a more expensive TV with a built-in HDTV tuner.

   A HDTV PCI tuner and be used in conjunction with something like MythTV, or VideoLan.  They can use IP as the transport to VLC/MPlayer clients on PC's elsewhere.  You'd use your average fast wireless just like you would for your PC to propagate this.

   Most anything else will fall into the blackbox category like the slingbox (don't know of any offhand), and/or non-network based transports (a localized broadcast).

   I have a Broadcast-HDTV PCI card, which was neat to play with for a while, but I rarely watch TV anymore.

--
   Keith