[ale] How do I install 32 bit SuSe 9.3 on a 64 bit system?

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 18 22:35:23 EDT 2005

Jim,
You should bother for the better graphics, especially if you have Nvidia
graphics.  What type of graphics came in the Presario?  Is it ATI,
Intel, or Nvidia?  If you have ACPI issues such as not being able to
shutdown by software command or if suspend to disk won't work correctly,
then there are some ACPI fixes in newer kernels that might help.
Several HP laptops were affected by some changes in the ACPI code so
9.3's default kernel may or may not work for you.  I am running SUSE
10.1 with a special ACPI fixed kernel from the main suse ftp repository
posted by Thomas Renninger.  He is a SUSE employee and works on ACPI
related issuse for Novell/Suse.  This fix is for some systems that under
the normal 2.6.13 kernel would not turn off after the shutdown command
finished.  You'd have to press and hold the power button to get the
system to shutdown.  Look on the GaTech suse repository for the people
section for trenn.  Your initial install problems lead me to think you
have a basic underlying ACPI issue.
Dow