[ale] Video on Linux - need some help getting started

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Nov 30 08:25:38 EST 2005

Chuck Huber wrote:
> I just puchased a trinocular microscope that included a USB video
> camera, Model DCM35, and am having a hard time pulling all the
> information together on how to get video going.
>
> I have learned, however, that simply plugging the camera into a USB port
> doesn't work.  The USB driver recognizes it, but doesn't have much to
> say about it.

What does dmesg say after plugging the camera in?  What are the vendor
and device numbers? lsusb will list these, separated by a colon.  Search
for the vendor and device number and linux.  If you don't get any hits,
it's likely not supported.

Check out the following sites:

http://www.linux-usb.org/
http://www.usbman.com/linuxusb.htm

Go here to see if your particular device is currently supported:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/devices.php

> Search engines don't report alot for the DCM35, and nothing for DCM35
> and linux.  My hope is that it uses a chip set or USB protocol that's
> already supported and I simply need to load the right drivers and the
> right apps.

Unfortunately, there are a number of variations on usb camera
implementation.  You will need to determine the actual chip in the
camera and find out if it is supported.  There are tons of proprietary
usb cameras out there.

> I don't need frame capture, nor do I need video recording or editing
> (though grabbing a frame to insert into documentation would be nice).

Good luck and post any progress..

> Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>     - Chuck

Until later, Geoffrey