[ale] Sony rootkit CDs

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Tue Nov 15 08:42:00 EST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 09:55 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Wow!! An Ale'er that _doesn't_ read slashdot!! ;)

If you read as a logged-in user long enough, you will eventually get mod
points. With out ever posting! Don't ask how I know this:)

> Basically, Sony used some DRM software to install a rootkit onto windows
> machines. The rootkit has since been hacked/exploited to be used to
> cheat in the "world of warcraft" game. It allows the cheater to access
> information about the other players they were not intended to have by
> the game authors.

Yes, but the cheats have existed for a long time. Just two or three days
before the Sony story broke, there was one on WoW's "Warden". It had
apparently been in use for some time and someone had just discovered it too
was snooping other things besides just game cheats. With the timing of the
two stories on /. it was inevitable some one would think of using one
against the other.

Don't game either, but still think it's funny.
--
William