[ale] Live CD to drop on my Dad's computer over thanksgiving?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Nov 14 13:10:49 EST 2005

I highly recommend Slax Live CD - http://slax.linux-live.org

Slax is small (less than 200mb) and only includes *one* app for each purpose.
That means that you won't have the bewildering variety of applications you
have on Knoppix, but it's snappier, smaller, and less confusing. There's one
web browser, one email program, and one office suite, etc. As a side note,
while this is entirely an opinion, I think the default theme for Slax is a
lot cleaner than Knoppix's last few incarnations and less intimidating.

It also lets you boot either to a command prompt (default) or a GUI, or a
lightweight GUI (fluxbox) if you have a low resource system. If you have at
least 256mb of RAM (I'd recommend 512) you can also give it the option
"copy2ram" and it will copy everything to a ramdisk at boot. This is *really*
fast once everything is booted, and you can then eject the cd-rom, which is
pretty neat.

-Jay