[ale] OT: Microsoft leaps to services

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 1 14:37:06 EST 2005

Count on Microsoft to try an jump on the train after it's left the station.
They are announcing today that they will be getting into Web services,
potentially competing with their own desktop software. Here is the link:

http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/11/off_topic.html

There is a good quote in the post from David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of
Rails:

"Microsoft is now entirely optional. No part of the stack needs Microsoft. Not
on the client, not on the server. And I think that's a pretty tough challenge
for a company that used to be a necessity. ... To be frank, I don't ever see
the good times coming back for them. Microsoft will have to move to higher
grounds. Get out of the infrastructure race. Like Apple did. There is no
dominant future for the Microsoft tool chain for Web development in sight.
But I doubt the company will acknowledge that before it's game over."