[ale] Problem with users logons > 8 chars

Michael Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:28:48 EST 2005

Hey there guys,

Do any of you know of a replacement (or patches) for some of the tools
that are hardcoded to only display the first 8 characters of a users
logon?  I have one user on a system that has a 9 character logon, and
trying to use last and ac in a shell script to pull random stats on
them doesn't work because it only feeds the first 8 characters of the
name to the script.

In addition, I was looking for a parameter or something for last to
display the whole username, but it doesn't seem to have one... or at
least, if it does, the man page doesn't know about it.

       Thanks!
       Mike