[ale] USB external HDD

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 31 10:08:00 EDT 2005

Richard Atcheson wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 10:26 pm, H. A. Story wrote:
>
>>Then later I will have to wonder what is the best cross platform format.
>>FAT,FAT32,NTFS,or Linux) probably the old FAT32 so I can read/write with
>>  Linux and Windows.
>>

>  Adrin;
>
> 	I have been using the Coolmax enclosure for the 2.5 inch ide drives.  I've
> installed several laptop type drives into that enclosure and simply plugging
> them into the USB port has worked fine.  I've had the drives formatted for
> FAT32, and Reiser and EXT2 and all working fine.  My linux is SuSE 9.2 and
> 9.3.

This is a good point.  I suspect that this enclosure has a smaller
footprint then the Maxtor 'one-touch.'  Also, if you plan on moving the
thing around a lot, a laptop harddrive would be a better choice as they
are designed to handle a bit more of such handling.  I've carried my
Maxtor 'one-touch' around and never had any problems, but the laptop
size enclosures are about 1/4 the size of this thing.

Of course you get what you pay for, the laptop drive/enclosure will end
up costing more, but you're paying for the reduced size and mobility design.

The maxtor has an external power source as well, I don't know if any of
these devices can use the usb power, maybe Adrin can share?

--
Until later, Geoffrey