[ale] USB external HDD

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Mon May 30 23:36:52 EDT 2005

This may have come up before. Sorry if it has.  I have played around
with my USB stick and got it to work with my slackware box.  Love it.

What I am looking for now is a external HDD USB would offer me the most.
  I don't have firewire right now.  I understand that the device needs
to support Mass storage standards(?).  I most have spent a good 30
minutes at frys on Sunday looking at the drives and didn't see one that
even said it would support Mass Storage. currently looking at the
network accessible drives too, but maybe later when the cost comes down.

Does anyone know of a list that shows which ones work with Linux?  I
wonder how safe I would be going by the compatible with MAC OS 8.6 or
higher on statement the box also.

Then later I will have to wonder what is the best cross platform format.
FAT,FAT32,NTFS,or Linux) probably the old FAT32 so I can read/write with
  Linux and Windows.

Adrin