[ale] Eth0 no longer coming up

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Mon May 30 15:46:18 EDT 2005

For many weeks now I have had to manually start eth0 after a boot up on
my Debian Sarge box. eth0 is still in /etc/network/interfaces to be auto
started. eth1 which is to my local network comes up just fine. The
particulars are as follows.

eth0 is my connection to speedfactory dsl and is configured via ppp.
The device is detected and the driver is loaded during boot.  After boot
I have to run an "ip link set eth0 up" and restart networking.  The
kernel version is 2.6.8 and is stock Debian

Since this has been going on for a while I have no idea what package
update changed its behavior. Here is the clip from
/etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet ppp
	provider dsl-provider

This is the same setup I have been using for this service for about six
months now. Where can I look for the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Seymour

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM advertised
OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from OS/2 v4 to Linux.