[ale] Novell NetWare GroupWare

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat May 28 18:27:36 EDT 2005

NetWare is traditionally a Network Operating System that used to primarily support network storage and printing.
Currently, NetWare continues those functions, but also provides a platform that is preconfigured with web, java, database and scripting capabilities.  It also includes feature such as openssh and bash.

There are a number of productivity applications that are included with Netware, and a number of Novell and third-party apps that run either natively on the OS or on the included services (web, java, etc...).

GroupWise and NetMail, for example, are collaboratively mail apps that run natively on the OS.

NetWare OS is a dedicated OS, so it does require it's own box.  You would not run windows apps on the server, and more than you would run windows apps on Solaris or AIX, and you would not use it to access other system, except via the X-based web-browser.

It would be roughly equivalent to linux in linux's use as a server, but not linux's use as a workstation.

Common uses for NetWare in our and client environments are:
File sharing
print sharing
web hosting
database hosting
User, workstation and server management
mail server
document management server
metadirectory services
workgroup service
enterprise java servlet engine
intra/internet portal.

The uses are implemented individually or in combination.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

>>> ccthomas at joimail.com  >>>
James,

Thank your for your information.

I too have wondered what Novell is all about and don't understand what
it's forte is.

Do you run Windows apps on it or what ?

I obviously don't understand what it's supposed to do. Someone stated
that it's DOS based but is it an OS ?

Where do the applications come from ?

How does it relate to Linux, Apple, or other "stuff" ?

Basically, how is it intended to function ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney