[ale] Linspire 5.0

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 27 09:24:27 EDT 2005

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>Dump ndiswrapper and get a good prism54 or an atheros based card.  3com makes
>>a prism54 card and I picked up a blitzz card that has an antheros card.  $40
>>at Wal-Mart (BWP 712).  Both work with late versions of Suse, RH and Mandrake.
>

> I like the Intel 2200 b/g and Intel 2915 a/b/g for mini-PCI if your
> notebooks support that

I'm curious what you mean by 'support that.'  I assumed that if you had
a mini-pc, any mini-pc card should work.  Am I incorrect on this assumption?

I recently tried to use an Xterasys mini-pci card in my hp pavilion.  It
won't even boot with the card in.  I get:

104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.
System haulted.  Remove device and restart.

I figured this was simply hp's way of forcing you to purchase the higher
priced laptop that has the card already in it.

I'm assuming it might be that this laptop does not have an antenna for a
mini-pci card, thus they don't want you calling support when such a card
does not work.  I was expecting that card would work, just that my range
would be (quite) limited.

Insights would be appreciated.

> The drivers are open source and well-maintained, and they've got monitor
> mode enabled in the firmware now (so kismet and friends work ;-). The
> cards are quite cheap too - I think I paid $20 each for an order of 2200s.

Pointers for where one might purchase such a card?

--
Until later, Geoffrey