[ale] Need Tractor Feed Dot Matrix printer

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Fri May 27 01:12:49 EDT 2005

Guilty,

Here's a good O'l Fart story about Linux.  I used to support
mainframe channel attached communications devices called, for lack of
anything better, front end processors.  They multiplexed
communication lines onto an IBM 370 channel.   512 inbound anything,
ATM, SNA, T1, dialup, etc connected to one 4.5 Mb/S 64 bit wide
parallel connection.  To put patches on we used Kermit.  Any of you
not old can google the history of Kermit.

We had to use a modem connected laptop to connect to a  remote
mainframe.  Start the remote Kermit then start local Kermit on the
FEP (front end processor)  and get patches.

Recently I had a friend ask me to use a newly installed Fedora box to
configure his PBX phone system formerly done with Hyper Terminal and
a serial connection on Windows.  I was stumped until I thought to run
Kermit from the command line.  Once I figured out the command to
configure his serial interface and start it we were configuring
phones with ease.

Actually, as Dennis said to King Arthur, "I'm not old"