[ale] Re: Using google search

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu May 26 13:15:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 12:42, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 09:47 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> | I'm having issues looking for exact phrases in google.  I want to
> | look at for all the 'brower.toolbar' options for the Mozilla user prefs
> | file but I can not get Google to see the '.'.
>
> Chris,
>
> I typed "browser.toolbar" AND "Mozilla preferences" into the Google
> Search window (notice the double quotes, not single) and got 14 hits.

That just narrows the search and make it more probable that
'browser.toolbar' is the only match.

The problem is that google ignores the fact that the '.' is in
'browers.toolbar'.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22browser.toolbar%22&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=%22browser+toolbar%22&btnG=Search

You get almost identical links using the above searches.
browser.toolbar is not Browser Toolbar.  Google seems to ignore non
alphanumeric characters in its search.