[ale] QoS talk

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 00:11:19 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 23:53 -0400, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Jim P.
> To make your talk on QoS more complete, you could bring a two routers
> and two satellite systems to demonstrate with.  Use the Linksys routers
> with OpenWRT or Sveasoft firmware to lighten the load, or get some help
> from others to bring in systems.

Excellent idea, although I must stress that my original plan was to just
discuss iptables and TOS.  But expanding the scope always benefits
everyone.

> I think the demonstration meetings are
> alot of fun if the hardware gets setup beforehand properly.

What!?!?! The fun is always in watching someone fumble around with
faulty hardware and bad cables.  ;-)

> Actually
> the software setup behind the QoS is only simple on the surface.  The
> technology built into the iproute2 package is very expandable and gets
> rapidly complex.  I would not have gotten anywhere without the Advanced
> Routing HowTo and the scripts that automate the setup of the queues for
> traffic shaping.  I might just drive back down to Atlanta for a talk on
> this subject!

Please do.  If we make this more of a lab instead of a PPT style talk it
can only be more interesting.

-Jim P.