[ale] tomcat woes

Barry Hawkins barry at bytemason.org
Tue May 24 21:08:25 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:38:07PM -0400, Geoffrey spake thus:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
[...]
> >I am using firefox. I have a tools->web developer -> {loads of stuff} I thought the java
> >console was for tinkering with java applets that were
> >downloaded. This is a java servlet that is _supposed_ to kick out a
> >database backed web page.
>
> It's been a while, but I know we used it extensively with servlet
> applications.  Thing is, it's not finding the class, so I'd suspect it's
> still path related.
[...]
Yeah, James is right.  The Java console only deals with applets running
via the Java Plug-in.  A Servlet can employ Applets, but they are sent
down like other files in an HTTP request.  The classloader issues here
all happen within the JVM instance running on the Tomcat server.  As
you can imagine, debug-level insight into the server's JVM instance
would be a scary thing.  You have to move to .Net for that kind of
access. 8^) <duck_to_avoid_missiles_from_Mono_fans/>

James, can you tell us a bit more about the application you are trying
to deploy?  I am wondering about the following things thus far:

1.) Is the OpenHouse Servlet part of the codebase of the web application
being deployed?  If so, is the compiled application being compiled and
packaged appropriately, so that all .class files end up appropriately
placed in the /WEB-INF/classes folder, dwelling in the appropriate
subfolder structure?  For instance, if OpenHouse were in package
com.corp.realestatetracker, it would need to be in the following
directory hierarchy:
/WEB-INF/classes/com/corp/realestatetracker/OpenHouse.class

2.) If the OpenHouse Servlet is not part of the codebase of the web
application being deployed, where is it being stored, and what does
the classpath entry for it look like, and where is it located
relative to the web app's folder?

Kind of shooting in the dark, sorry if the questions seem overly
simple.

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins