[ale] Take the "too passe?" war on-list

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon May 23 18:01:17 EDT 2005

> Has Linux become sort of too passe for the hard core geeks?  The reason
> I ask this is identify 3 or 4 true Linux hobbyists on this list who
> don't troll for customers, make known that they seek customers,
> participate here as a owner/rep of a Linux centric business.  These are
> not bad or sinful things, it's just my opinion that Linux has become the
> workman's standard rather than the hobbyist's exception.
>
> -Jim P.

Workman's standard?
I think that applies to me - but I am NOT a pro-Linux guy or system admin.
Hobbyist?
I think that applies to me - especially if you use the IRS definition.

Along with the theme of the thread, I almost feel like I'm not
"good/knowledgable enough" to consider myself a hobbyist.

I don't really enjoy learning about Linux anymore. I've gotten far enough on
the learing curve. Now, I just want to DO things with the system - rather
than learn about the system.

I think that one thing that can be learned from you post is that the
Linux-pros may want to tone down the breast-beating a bit. This will make
them seem much more professional.

ON the other hand, I have sincere doubts that anyone would really observe this
list while searching for someone to hire. Why go through all of that trouble
when it is just easier to hire someone and then hire someone else to double
check the work of the first? Who can be trusted by what they post alone?

People post as if they are "all all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present."
Does anyone really BUY that?
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown

P.S. Opps. I think I did once :(