[ale] VOTE: Take the root war off-list

Barry Hawkins barry at bytemason.org
Mon May 23 15:46:46 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 02:50:46PM -0400, Jim Popovitch spake thus:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:38 -0400, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> > Agreed.  Folks, if you had a problem with it, you should have said
> > something at the time.  It's time to let go.
>
> Would their silence indicate a problem or a non-problem, and which is
> truly better?  :-)
Jim,

That sounds like another philosophical question with no short answer.
I haven't the spare time for that sort of sparring. :-)  I think the
really annoyed by that saga, but in the interest of moving on, I
thought I'd encourage folks to not comment on it any further.

(Editorial Note: I hesitated to post the rest of this, since it may
result in my being flamed to hell and back.  But, it is my open and
honest perception, so maybe being willing to take one for the team
could result in some productive dialog about community within ALE.)

When I first joined this list a scant several months ago, I commented
to a friend who is also on the list that it seemed like a really good
one with low signal-to-noise.  He told me I should just stick around
long enough.  Since the election took place a couple of months later,
I soon saw what he meant.  These crabby flamewars do nothing to
promote community within ALE, and if anything they are a huge turnoff
to newcomers.

I have been to about 5 of the last 8 meetings for Central.  I can
vouch for the fact that it could certainly use some new blood, and
I would imagine from the hiatus of the NW group that it could use
some, too.  When folks come on the list and see a handful of folks
willing to beat issues to death and flame one another, the best you
can hope for is a 'wait and see' attitude from them regarding
participation and potential future leadership.  So, the same handful of
folks like Geoffrey, Aaron, Harold, and Michael (whom we miss greatly)
shoulder the burden.  (I am sure I am leaving out some, but please
know that it is because of my ignorance.)

There just aren't a ton of folks who enjoy being part of a group
where a handful of the sages or gurus like to hammer one another
with flamefests.  It really squelches openness and usually makes
the newcomer think "Good God, I had better not ask _my_ naive
question, I'll probably get clobbered!"  It could be that
the majority may say, "fine, who needs 'em if they're gonna be
that way!"  Well, OK, but realize that the cost of that is a
stagnant group without significant numbers to justify a steady
stream of good meetings and events with quality speakers.

I think if those who have jeered at this thread's responses
would bear in mind what the goal of ALE is, they would see that
it's not something to mock, but rather a symptom that may help
us find ways to improve the community within ALE.

Sincerely,
--
Barry Hawkins
All Things Computed