[ale] DVD life expectancy

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Mon May 23 02:13:48 EDT 2005

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I would expect from Philips or Verbatim a normal life span of
> 5-10years.  But, the cheapo disks by nonamers could die really quick.

I read a report a couple years ago that did testing on different brands of
burnable CDs. They found one of the numerous dye types used was considerably
more reliable and didn't degrade nearly as fast as the others. I can't remember
the name of the dye, but Verbatim uses it in their DataLife Plus discs. I've
used them for awhile and haven't had any problems. I'm also using their burnable
DVDs as well with no problems. On the other hand, I have used Imation discs, the
ones where the bottom almost looks like a pressed CD, and have had those go bad
in a matter of months. YMMV.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org