[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri May 20 02:19:19 EDT 2005

On Thursday May 19 2005 16:12, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On 5/19/05, ChangingLINKS.com <groups at changinglinks.com> wrote:
> > That is why I chose to remove some personal data. I realize that I will
> > be letting you all the way IN the box and giving you virtually complete
> > control over it - I want to protect my data from YOU in *these*
> > circumstances. With my daily method, I keep the data on the box.
>
> If the only method of protecting that particular data is to remove it
> from the box, then you have already proven the so called challenge
> pointless.

I was NOT suggesting that. You misunderstand my point.

> What exactly is it that you expect anyone to prove by accessing a
> machine with no data on it?

I did NOT say there would be no data, I just meant to say that I'll remove the
most private data (like a phone list and a small journal) for THIS challenge.
I typically leave that on - but have other security features outside of the
challenge.

> Furthermore, how will the machine "hand me
> my ass" if I fail to gain access to data that is not there in the
> first place?

Prevent you from doing other things like permanently damaging my system.
The run-as-root argument was centered not so much around data loss, but other
exploits and vulnerabilities.

> This is rather like having a slam dunk contest on a tennis court. I'll
> stand by my statement that you appear to be an idiot.
> Jonathan

Sad. You don't even need to "go there" for this thread . . . well, perhaps you
feel you do. You misunderstand my intent - and then perceive me as an idiot.
Perhaps I'm a poor communicator . . . but that still does not warrant your
behavior.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown