[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:24:20 EDT 2005

On 5/19/05, ChangingLINKS.com <groups at changinglinks.com> wrote:

> That is why I chose to remove some personal data. I realize that I will be
> letting you all the way IN the box and giving you virtually complete control
> over it - I want to protect my data from YOU in *these* circumstances.
> With my daily method, I keep the data on the box.

If the only method of protecting that particular data is to remove it
from the box, then you have already proven the so called challenge
pointless. The fact that you do not get this is indicative of a
serious lack of understanding of the way things work. I think I'll
stick to my own methods for securing systems and let you keep yours to
yourself.

I'd wager that for every 1 person you can find that agrees with your
secret methods, I can find 1000 that agree with the public and well
established methods that have been in use for nearly as long as I've
been alive.

>After all, if you perceive me as an "idiot", how will you view yourself when
>the machine that is run by an idiot hands you your ass?

What exactly is it that you expect anyone to prove by accessing a
machine with no data on it? Furthermore, how will the machine "hand me
my ass" if I fail to gain access to data that is not there in the
first place?

This is rather like having a slam dunk contest on a tennis court. I'll
stand by my statement that you appear to be an idiot. I say that not
as a means to insult you, but because I really am starting to believe
that you are in fact an idiot. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

--
Jonathan