[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 19 20:25:05 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>>Any takers for a face-to-face showdown?
>>
>>-Jim P.
>
> I apologize for the fact that I am NOT living locally.
> I set up the challenge to be online because I am in Texas.
>
> Otherwise, I would have set up the challenge differently:
> I would ask them to bring their daily use boxes, and we run the SAME commands
> on EVERY box. That would not only prove my position, but if I won the
> challenge it would prove my box is actually MORE secure than theirs!

Neither would I demonstrate how to do what I 'claim' I can do, as it
provides no real learning experience. I'll see if I can use these toys
to produce a useful effort, like, I don't know, pull a fax from my
computer to my phone. I tinker with all kinds of hardware.  I
specifically picked up the cell phone I have because it has gprs,
bluetooth, ir, java support, removable MCC card and a host of other
goodies.  It's a learning tool for me, more so then a communication
device.  I've got 4 pda's, one I use religiously, the other three to
learn and play.  I've got 5 laptops in pieces just to the left of my
feet.  Working on putting those things to work in my truck to make it a
rolling techno toy.  I hope you get the point...

> (Of course, I would point the challenge at Rickman and other people who claim
> to be more experienced with security than others on this list - rather than
> Geoffrey). I'd go for the self-promoting ones.

I apologize to Jonathan on your behalf.

--
Until later, Geoffrey