[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu May 19 17:21:23 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:39:11PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I propose that we take this one step further and have Geoff, Michael,
> and George come to the next ALE intown meeting and show us their l33t
> s41lz in realtime in front of an audience.  I'll bring the switch and
> network cables so that we can do this on a private network, thus
> preventing their omnipotent powers from bringing down the whole
> Internet.  :-)

I really don't think this has anything to do with "l33t s41lz".  It has to do with
established best standards, worked out over a great period of time by people
better-experienced than you or me.  There's enough documentation out there to support the
stance of those of us (really, everyone but you and Drew) who hold that running as root is
significantly more risky than running as non-root.  That you want to ignore it really
leaves us with nowhere to turn, but you might as well argue that the world is flat, that
the world was created by a giant bunny, that people should never take medicine when they
are sick or that jumping off tall buildings is a good idea because we could get hit by a
bus if we don't.

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound