[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 19 16:01:03 EDT 2005

>>Re-flashing the BIOS is minor to rebuilding past work.

How do you flash the bios to start with?  You must boot the machine,
usually from a floppy.  Before you get there, the bios has to run.

If you reload the bios with your a piece of code that does not look at
the floppy to boot, or anything else for that matter, tell me how you
plan to flash the bios?

If the bios chip is removable, you can pull it and reprogram it with a
stand alone bios flasher, but how many people have one?  (I do)

Have you ever burned a rom or eprom?  Have you written assembler?  Then
you should know that you can write more then just vendor bios code to
the chip.

If the chip is not removable, there is the slight possibility you can
wire directly to the mb and flash it, but again, you need a device to do
that.

How do you get the computer to flash itself when you never get out of
the bios and the bios does not see any boot devices?

--
Until later, Geoffrey